In order to support and strengthen the recent American and Chinese commitments to the concept of Low Carbon Economies, perhaps these policy guide lines and goals could be incorporated into the Waxman Markey American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 [H.R. 2454].
1. Sequester additional carbon in the soils and forests in a sustainable manner;
2. The most effective, efficient and safe technologies will be used in this effort;
3. The carbon sequestered will have a half life of at least 250 years;
4. As a metric, the majority of soils in the US will have double their current level of carbon content within 15 years.
5. That the activities listed above be considered for the creation of carbon offset credits.
In the end, how can we have low carbon economies if we do not also have low carbon agriculture as well?